Friday, March 31, 2006

Bagpipes Are SO Predictable

Today I went to a Relay For Life rally, and the ceremonial lighting of the candles featured a traditionally clad bagpipe player who played "Amazing Grace" over and over until he made it around one full lap. It was a nice memorial for those who've lost their lives to cancer.

Yet as he passed us by, I was distracted by his full on Scottish garb. I'm not sure of many things in this world, but one thing I am sure of is when I hear a bagpipe off in the distance, it is being played by someone in Scottish regalia. I'd like to be proven wrong on this. Next time I hear bagpipes, why couldn't I see a guy in jeans, a t-shirt, and a Red Sox cap? Or maybe a chick in a dress and flip-flops? Perhaps this extreme contrast of elements would create such a dissonant reaction in my cognition that I would simply vomit and pass out. I don't know.

And another thing, I can always be sure that if there is someone playing the pipes, he will play "Amazing Grace" if he isn't already. I mean, come on. Let's get creative. "Piano Man" is a great song that I am sure would sound great coming from this fine instrument. What do you think? Live's "I Alone?" Yes, I think so. R.E.M's "It's the End Of the World As We Know It?" A must hear.

3 Comments:

Blogger Windy Lampson said...

here you go

1:43 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

touché winters. touché.

4:04 PM  
Blogger spigo said...

i think piano man is a bad choice. it's like when jerry lee lewis plays johnny b. goode on piano. it's about a guitar player. it just doesn't make sense without guitar. nor would piano man without piano. however, i alone and end of the world would be great. but if we must stick with traditional hymns, how about we try 'run on' or 'i shall not be moved?' them's pretty cool.

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home